I work directly with nineteenth and early twentieth century coding technology artefacts such as textile jacquards, musical box discs and IBM punch cards. These ‘host’ materials have presence and a history. Faded and sometimes fragile, often rusted, warped, pungent, ripped and torn, they impact upon the senses and are the ancestors of our digital world.
I’m interested in the idea of a ‘cultural lag’ in our understanding of advancing technology. It’s easy to feel fear, frustration and a sense of being left behind, as our lives become increasingly mediated through machines. My work speaks to society’s shift away from manufacturing towards the service, knowledge and information sectors. Obsolescence, loss and change influence this reflective work.
Cyberculture theory offers a useful way to think about the relationship between bodies, minds and machines.
‘……. things get faster, smaller, more useful, more user-friendly, and this is a good thing – or so one particular type of storytelling says. Other stories less often told, reveal the trials, the resistances, the accommodations and negotiations involved in living with new technologies’ (David Bell, 2007).’
Art Therapist Bradford NHS 1993-2014
MA Visual Arts (Distinction) Bradford College 2011-13
Artist in Residence Print Room Bradford College 2014
Complete Printmaker Programme Hot Bed Press Salford 2015-17
2017 Art& RAW Talent Mentoring Programme Award
2017 Flourish Award For Excellence In Printmaking – shortlisted
2017 Flourish Award – Intaglio Printmakers Prize (People’s Choice)
2018 Wigan S.T.E.A.M (Science: Technology: Engineering: Art: Maths) Bursary
SELECTED SHOWS AND EXHIBITIONS 2017/18
- 2017 ‘Makers Fair’ Saltaire Arts Trail, Bradford
- 2017 ‘PROOF’ Printmakers Group Exhibition, Robert Burt Gallery, London
- 2017 ‘Flourish Award for Excellence in Printmaking’ Exhibition, WYPW
- 2017 ‘Art&’ Show, York Racecourse
- 2017 ‘Little Northern Contemporary Craft Fair’, Altrincham, Cheshire
- 2018 ‘Get It Arts’ Curated Group Pop Up Exhibition, 1-4th March, 5th Base Gallery, London
- 2018 ‘Do Not Fold Spindle Or Mutilate’ Solo Exhibition, 26th May-16th June, Wigan S.T.E.A.M.
- 2018 neo: International Proof Print Exhibition/Exchange, 26th May-8th July, neo:gallery 23, Bolton, Greater Manchester
- 2018 Leeds Print Fair, 9th June, Holy Trinity Church, Leeds
- 2018 RBSA Print Prize Exhibition, 25th July – 1st September, RBSA Gallery, Birmingham
- 2018 ‘Emerging Artists Exhibition’, 1st September – 5th November, Bils and Rye Gallery, Kirbymooreside, North Yorkshire
- 2018 ‘Next Wave’, selected group exhibition for Emerging Artists, RBSA Gallery, 6th-22nd September RBSA Birmingham
- 2018 ‘Great Northern Contemporary Craft Fair,’ 11th – 14th October, Upper Campfield Market, Manchester
- 2018 ‘Woolwich Print Fair,’ 22nd-25th November Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, London
Bils and Rye Gallery, Kirbymoorside, North Yorkshire
Hope Gallery, Red Brick Mill, Batley, West Yorkshire